- Campian, When Laura Smiles.
- Ding Dong! Merrily on High, testing for inclusion in the 2005
supplement to “Carols for Parties”
- Dowland, “Tell me true Love”
- Campian, Never Weather-beaten Saile
The next rehearsal will be February 15. Anne will be in Spain, and
Stuart may have to go back to Taiwan. Paul is still coming back and
forth from Chicago.
We will continue chugging through “A Pilgrim’s Solace”, but will
have to stop at some point to start work on the April and May
performances. People who haven’t been coming regularly who would like
to play or sing with us should start coming.
I’m thinking of doing just a drinking songs group, or possibly part
of the River group at the April performance, and the river group, the
drinking songs, and the May group for the Walk for Hunger.
We’ll have to start working on some of the less familiar stuff we
want to do for May. We’ll also have to start doing consistent and
systematic review of the more familiar ones, so I’ll have a better
organized playlist drawn from the setlist soon.
I got an email from someone pointing out that the links to the
source didn’t work. That turned out to be an easy fix — the links —
were of the form “http:music/morley/3v/filename.zip”. Removing the
http: caused them to work.
Unfortunately, I also looked at the pdf files on the web, and they had
some serious problems with the printing of the incipits.
I’m sure I will complain more later about lilypond’s gratuitous syntax
changing, but in any case, 2 hours later, I have pdf files that seem
to be much better.
This resulted in a conversion to lilypond 1.9.5 from 1.4. I don’t
actually approve of putting up odd-numbered versions of lilypond, but
convert-ly wouldn’t convert automatically to 2.0, and my Debian
unstable system won’t run 1.4. So this was a compromise.
Anyway, let me know if you see any more problems.
We did enough stuff that we wanted to remember doing that we decided I
would keep a log of A-list rehearsals, as well as the regular
We started with a review of the French drinking songs at the back of
the book. “Changeons Propos” went so badly the first time that we
were surprised at how well the others went. “Vive la Serpe” is still
problematic. In my opinion, it’s because so many people are off the
beat so much of the time that it’s hard to count during the rests. It
got easier, but I think this one’s a real test of rhythmic precision.
Hence, one worth working on.
Anne had identified a Campian that might be a suitable part of a May
group. It was fun, but should probably be orchestrated with at least
some of the four verses sung by a soloist.
We finished with a bunch of Dowlands.
- Go, crystall teares,
- Weep you no more sad fountains
- Me, me and none but me
- The retirement party group, both “His golden locks time hath to
silver turned” from the first group, and the three part one starting
with “Time’s Eldest Son” from the Second Book.
Both “Go, crystall teares” and “Weep you no more sad fountains”
were worth working on some more.
Figured out again how to set up user scripts. The answer is that
you need the script in the directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin. So I have a
user-owned directory under there, and a line in the public_html
Makefile to install all .cgi scripts to the user-owned directory.
Have done this for lconrad; need to do it for sixtoe, but the
script for sixtoe doesn’t work, so I’d need to look at that.
So I have now installed Blosxom, and will be looking at the plugins
and using it with css, etc.
I have got the schema (roughly) into the mysql database on
When I try to get the data in from the postgresql dump, I get:
$ mysql -pjsb1750 laymusi_musicpublish
ERROR 1064 at line 3: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘COPY piece (id, title, composer_id, copyright, Directory_name,
So I’m going to have to research mysql sql, or see if some kind person
has written a script to turn pg_dump output into mysql input.
The answer turns out to be that you run pg_dump with the –inserts
option. So the data is now in the mysql database; now I have to check
it, and modify abc2db.py to put the data into the mysql database, and
db2html.py to get the data out of the mysql database.