Additions, February, 2005

The Renaissance Band continues to chug through Dowland’s “A
Pilgrim’s Solace”. This week’s new one was Tell me,
true Love, where shall I seeke thy being
.

It was a particularly difficult transcription problem, and the
solution is unsatisfactory in several ways.

  • The Cantus part repeats the B section with the same words. The
    bassus part has what’s effectively a first ending that’s more
    elaborate than 17th century repeat notation can deal with, so it’s
    written out. The transcription mirrors that, so I have inserted
    rehearsal letters in the bass part. B is the start of the first
    repeat, and C corresponds to the second time through the repeat in the
    Cantus.

  • The above problem doesn’t really affect the Altus and Bassus,
    since they only come in on the repeat of the chorus. That is, the
    start of the notes and words is at section C in the bass. In our
    rehearsal, we had the people on the Tenor and Altus parts sing Bassus
    and Cantus on the A and B sections, and switch to their parts for C.
    In performance, we would probably have a solo singer on A and B, and
    then everybody come in on C.

  • The verses have very different numbers of syllables. The underlay
    of the first verse, which is all Dowland did, works fine. The other
    verses would need some tweaking if you were going to perform them.
    Let me know if you get a better solution to the problem than I did.

Fixed some problems with the Morley Canzonets for Three Voices

I got an email from someone pointing out that the links to the
source didn’t work. That turned out to be an easy fix — the links —
were of the form “http:music/morley/3v/filename.zip”. Removing the
http: caused them to work.

Unfortunately, I also looked at the pdf files on the web, and they had
some serious problems with the printing of the incipits.

I’m sure I will complain more later about lilypond’s gratuitous syntax
changing, but in any case, 2 hours later, I have pdf files that seem
to be much better.

This resulted in a conversion to lilypond 1.9.5 from 1.4. I don’t
actually approve of putting up odd-numbered versions of lilypond, but
convert-ly wouldn’t convert automatically to 2.0, and my Debian
unstable system won’t run 1.4. So this was a compromise.

Anyway, let me know if you see any more problems.