I got an email from someone pointing out that the links to the
source didn’t work. That turned out to be an easy fix — the links —
were of the form “http:music/morley/3v/filename.zip”. Removing the
http: caused them to work.
Unfortunately, I also looked at the pdf files on the web, and they had
some serious problems with the printing of the incipits.
I’m sure I will complain more later about lilypond’s gratuitous syntax
changing, but in any case, 2 hours later, I have pdf files that seem
to be much better.
This resulted in a conversion to lilypond 1.9.5 from 1.4. I don’t
actually approve of putting up odd-numbered versions of lilypond, but
convert-ly wouldn’t convert automatically to 2.0, and my Debian
unstable system won’t run 1.4. So this was a compromise.
Anyway, let me know if you see any more problems.
We did enough stuff that we wanted to remember doing that we decided I
would keep a log of A-list rehearsals, as well as the regular
We started with a review of the French drinking songs at the back of
the book. “Changeons Propos” went so badly the first time that we
were surprised at how well the others went. “Vive la Serpe” is still
problematic. In my opinion, it’s because so many people are off the
beat so much of the time that it’s hard to count during the rests. It
got easier, but I think this one’s a real test of rhythmic precision.
Hence, one worth working on.
Anne had identified a Campian that might be a suitable part of a May
group. It was fun, but should probably be orchestrated with at least
some of the four verses sung by a soloist.
We finished with a bunch of Dowlands.
- Go, crystall teares,
- Weep you no more sad fountains
- Me, me and none but me
- The retirement party group, both “His golden locks time hath to
silver turned” from the first group, and the three part one starting
with “Time’s Eldest Son” from the Second Book.
Both “Go, crystall teares” and “Weep you no more sad fountains”
were worth working on some more.
Figured out again how to set up user scripts. The answer is that
you need the script in the directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin. So I have a
user-owned directory under there, and a line in the public_html
Makefile to install all .cgi scripts to the user-owned directory.
Have done this for lconrad; need to do it for sixtoe, but the
script for sixtoe doesn’t work, so I’d need to look at that.
So I have now installed Blosxom, and will be looking at the plugins
and using it with css, etc.
I have got the schema (roughly) into the mysql database on
When I try to get the data in from the postgresql dump, I get:
$ mysql -pjsb1750 laymusi_musicpublish
ERROR 1064 at line 3: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘COPY piece (id, title, composer_id, copyright, Directory_name,
So I’m going to have to research mysql sql, or see if some kind person
has written a script to turn pg_dump output into mysql input.
The answer turns out to be that you run pg_dump with the –inserts
option. So the data is now in the mysql database; now I have to check
it, and modify abc2db.py to put the data into the mysql database, and
db2html.py to get the data out of the mysql database.
I’m starting a contract job at Durridge next Monday, so I’m trying
to get my life in order. I’ve asked Barney to walk the dog every
afternoon, so that should be ok.
I borrowed some Zone 2 dvd’s from John and Miyuki. They play fine on
the new dvd writer. I get a “wrong zone” error message on the
downstairs DVD player. I have looked up the firmware change for
making the DVD zone-free, and it’s here.
My serial number starts with C1500 and is on a white label.
It looks like I can ride the bus from Alewife. To do it all the time,
I’d need a combo pass, which is seventy-some dollars a month. So gas
is probably more expensive, or similar. So if the air-conditioning
works on the bus, and you can generally get seats, it might be worth
I got it working yesterday. The big deal was getting the scsi
emulation; I’d only had SCSI cd-writers, so I had to get the ide-scsi
module loaded right. After that, the dvdplusrw tools seem to be the
way to go. It’s really nice being able to add stuff after you’ve
The backup script I have is pretty rudimentary, and at the moment, to
fit the backup on one dvd, I’m having to delete most derived files,
and compress the rest. Also it doesn’t do things like backup the
database. But it’s a lot better than nothing, and if I leave the
right dvd in the drive, I can run it automatically at night, but I
need to write a program to check for that first. For now, maybe I’ll
just kick it off when I go to bed.
I have to practice this morning, since we’ll be leaving for the gig at
about 3, so I’ll leave fidling with the new hard drive for later in
the week. I’m sort of concerned it might not work, since I know I had
the jumpers right at least once, so I should get to it soon if it
might have to go back. But I certainly don’t have time tomorrow